Articles that can not be shipped as baggage
In accordance with the regulations of CAAC, the following items are not allowed in carry-on or checked baggage:
- Explosive articles, gas, inflammable liquids, inflammable solids, hypergolic articles, articles that release inflammable gas when in contact with water, oxidants, organic peroxide, toxicity articles, infective articles, radioactive articles, corrosive articles or any other dangerous articles.
- Guns, ammunition, controlled cuts (knives) or similar articles
- Controlled cuts (knives) listed in the Temporary Regulations on Controlled Cuts issued by the Public Security Ministry and approved by the State Department of the People¡¦s Republic of China. This includes daggers, three square tools (including the three square tool used in mechanics), knives with self-locks, backswords, catlings that are longer than a dagger, and any other similar articles.
Please note that hunting equipment, athletic sports equipment, antiques, and tour souvenirs can be defined as checked baggage as long as the carrier¡¦s requirements are met.
In accordance with the notice from the Chinese Authority, effective April 7, 2008, matches and lighters in carry-on baggage to international and domestic aircraft departing to/from China are under the ban strictly. These items are prohibited when carried as checked baggage, too. Please note that matches and lighters must be confiscated at security checkpoint.
Articles that can not be packed in checked baggage
The following items should not be packed in checked baggage. If a loss of these items occurs due to a passenger breach, Air China will not be held liable and will only compensate lost baggage according to lost baggage policies.
- Important or Commercial documents
- Bank Draft
- Valuable metal and metalwork
- Curio, calligraphy and paintings
- Fragile articles
- Perishable articles
- Presswork or scripts that are out of print
- Travel certificates
- Electronic/video/photographic equipment
- Mobile phones, walkmen, computer software/hardware
- Medicine that should be taken timely
Articles that require consent of Air China to transport
Exact instruments, electrical products and precision instruments
TV¡¦s, acoustics, washing machines, refrigerator, computers, recorders, etc should be transported as checked baggage and either have the original factory packaging or Air China approved packaging. These items would not qualify in the free checked baggage allowance and would be charged as overweight baggage. Air China will bear any liabilities in accordance to checked baggage policies.
Athletic sports equipment
Sports guns and bullets should only be transported as checked baggage along with transportation certificates issued by appropriate authorities. They should be locked and packed separately and approved by Air China. The bullet allowance for each passenger is 5kg (11 lbs) (gross weight). Passengers traveling in groups should pack their bullets separately. These items would not qualify in the free baggage allowance and would be charged as overweight baggage. Passengers transporting guns and bullets should complete all check formalities 90 minutes before departure.
To transport a small animal such as a pet cat or pet dog, please contact Air China. Animal quarantine certificates and valid certificates for small animals leaving, entering or passing through China should be provided. Small animals should not be carried into the cabin, but should travel as checked baggage. The small animal and its container will be charged as overweight baggage. If the small animal is rejected to enter the country of destination, or is injured, lost, delayed, ill or dead, Air China will not bear any liability.
The container the small animal is transported in should be as follows:
- Prevent the small animal from damaging any person, baggage, goods or the airplane
- Large enough so the small animal can move with proper ventilation to avoid asphyxia
- Two small animals less than 14kg (30 lbs) could be transported in one container
- Any small animal over 14kg (30 lbs) should be transported in their own container
- Three small animals under six months old can be transported separately or together in one container
Please note that Air China has the right to refuse carriage of any animal that appears wild or dangerous.
For more information, please log onto the China Customs websites for animal and plant quarantine:
Foldaway or electronic wheelchair used by passenger during trip
Both manual and electronic wheelchairs are transported as checked baggage. They qualify as free checked-baggage so they are not included in baggage allowance limits. If a wheelchair is needed during check-in and has been given the consent of Air China, it will be delivered at the departure gate before boarding.
If an electronic wheelchair is checked, the packing should be as follows:
- Wheelchair with leak-proof battery ¡V Ensure the battery does not have a short circuit and it should be securely installed on the wheelchair.
- Wheelchair without leak-proof battery ¡V The battery should not be installed on the wheelchair and should have protective packaging. It should be leak-proof and fixed with a belt, fixture or bracket on the pallet or in the cargo compartment. Ensure the battery does not have a short circuit and it is filled with suitable absorption material to absorb any leaked liquid.
- The packing will be marked as either ¡§BATTERY, WET, WHEELCHAIR¡¨, or ¡§BATTERY, WET, WITH MOBILITY AID¡¨. Additional labels will be added saying ¡§CORROSIVE¡¨ and ¡§UPWARD¡¨.
For more wheelchair information, please consult with the local business department or office
Edge and Blunt Tools
Medical tools of which the blade is less than 6cm (2.4 inches) and sharp special cut tools and blunt tools for which the blades are over 6cm (2.4 inches). This includes living and production tools such as a kitchen knife, fruit knife, dinner knife, technique knife, bistouries, scissors, reaphook, performance tool, sword, lance, curio or travel souvenirs, iron prick, axe, short stick, sinker, etc. These tools should be packed in checked baggage and not be carried into the cabin.
Dry ice, liquid drinks, liquid cosmetics and household products
Dry ice can either be checked-in or carried into the cabin. The dry ice should be refrigerated in low temperatures, however the total weight of any dry-ice should not exceed 2kg (4.4 lbs) per passenger. In accordance with regulations of the CAAC, a passenger should not travel with more than two bottles (each bottle should not be over 500ml) of carbonated drinks, mineral water, tea, milk, acidophilus milk, juice, etc. Passengers can purchase drinks after the security checks in airport/as long they are in compliance with the limits. Except for alcohol purchased after the security check in the airport, no alcohol should be carried. Limits on alcohol per passenger are 2 bottles under 1kg and total cubage should not exceed 1000ml.
Passengers can carry bottles of collar cleaner, mousse, brightener, insecticides, and air freshener as long as each bottle is less than 350ml. Perfume is allowed under 500ml. Passengers should not carry any articles that are over 1000ml or 1kg (2.2 lbs).